Home Ownership Grants
If you are a Melton Borough Council tenant and you are interested in buying a home of your own you may be able to get help through our new home ownership grant scheme...
The scheme is part of a new government initiative that helps our tenants who would like to buy a home of their own, but not their council home.
The scheme is aimed at our tenants whose current home is not suitable for them to buy under the Right to Buy, this might be because it is too small, too large or it might not be where they want to live. It might be because their council home is built in a non-standard way which makes it hard for them to get a mortgage to buy their home.
- The property is your only or main home.
- You have been a public sector tenant (usually a tenant of a council or housing association) for a total of at least 3 years
- You don’t live in sheltered housing or other housing particularly suitable for elderly or disabled people
- You don’t have any legal problems with debt
- You don’t have any outstanding possession orders
- You (or any other person that you want to purchase with) do not own or part-own any other property.
Buying a home is a big decision, you should make sure that understand the responsibilities and costs involved in buying a home before applying for this scheme. Please read the information guide for further information.