Melton Borough Council


About CCTV

CCTV in the town is looking out for you

Melton Borough Council is committed to reducing crime, and ensuring that Melton Mowbray is a safe place to live, work, visit and socialise. Working with the Safer Melton Partnership, the council tackles all forms of anti-social behaviour. Part of the way we do this is by using closed circuit television cameras (CCTV). CCTV can be found in the Melton, both in car parks and in public spaces. These cameras are monitored from a control room situated within Melton Police Station.

With the CCTV scheme we aim to:

  • Ensure that Melton Mobray is a safe place to live, work and visit
  • Help Leicestershire Police detect and prevent crime
  • Reduce fear of crime by making people feel safer
  • Encourage people to report crime and anti-social behaviour

How does CCTV in Melton work?

CCTV cameras are monitored and maintained by Melton Borough Council. The dedicated CCTV Monitoring Room, which is a restricted and secure centre and which operates in accordance with Home Office Guidelines, is situated in Melton Police Station. All our CCTV Operators are volunteers who have undergone formal training in the rules and regulation and the operation of CCTV. The Council has a code of practice, and produces an Annual Report. CCTV images are stored for 28 days, and are automatically erased after that time.

What can the system do?

All our cameras cover a defined area, and these are primarily used to deter crime. The cameras can identify offenders, and can help the Police collect evidence for a court prosecution. CCTV Operators have a direct link with the Police, and can feed images to Leicestershire Police headquarters, reporting incidents immediately. This communication works both ways, and the Police may contact the CCTV operator to request the monitoring of an incident.

How do I report an incident?

If you see anything suspicious, or are the victim of a crime, please call Leicestershire Police using the non-emergency number 101. If the crime is serious, in progress, or you require immediate assistance, please call 999. If there is a CCTV camera nearby, please tell the Police, and if you can, give the location of the camera or the name of the road. It is helpful if you can give the Police as much information as you can, such as the time and date of the incident, as this helps us to track down the footage. When you report an incident to Kent Police, Officers will contact the CCTV Unit to obtain the footage.

Contact CCTV

Telephone (01664) 502502


Melton Mowbray CCTV Code of Practice

CCTV Annual Review - Jan 17 

Privacy Impact Assessment - Dec 16

CCTV Self Assessment  (Surveillance Camera Commissioner)