Melton Borough Council

Contaminated recycling will not be collected

Your recycling bin will not be emptied if it contains non-recyclable item(s) You will need to remove the item(s) and we will empty the bin on your next brown bin collection day.

Click here to see what can go in your brown bins

Complaints about high hedges

You should always try to resolve issues regarding neighbours high hedges yourself directly with the hedge owner. If this is not successful or you have exhausted all other avenues you may make a formal complaint to us. 

We will not mediate or negotiate between you and the hedge owner but will adjudicate on whether the hedge is adversely affecting your reasonable enjoyment of your property. In doing so, we take in to account all relevant factors and strike a balance between the competing interests of yourself and the hedge owner, as well as the interests of the wider community.

If we consider the circumstances justify it, we will issue a formal notice to the hedge owner which will set out what they must do to the hedge to remedy the problem, and when by. 

Failure to carry out the works required is an offence which, on prosecution, could lead to a fine of up to £1000.  

The current cost of a complaint is £350.00.

Download the complaint form and checklist