Melton Borough Council

Parliamentary Election results are now available

for the Rutland and Melton Constituency


Universal Credit information for landlords

What is Universal Credit?

It is a single monthly payment for working age people in or out of work, which merges together some of the benefits and tax credits that your tenants would normally apply for or already receive as separate payments.

What benefits does it replace? 

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Child and Working Tax Credits

Working age tenants already in receipt of housing benefit will continue to receive this unless their claim ends or they have a significant change. More information about what Universal Credit means for you as a landlord can be found here.

If you feel your tenant may struggle to pay their rent out of their monthly Universal Credit payment or are already in arrears you can request a managed payment. Please note you will need to get your tenant's agreement to do this.