Melton Borough Council

My Account system upgrade update

We are making changes to My Account. If you have an existing My Account please check for an email from us with details about your new upgraded account.

Parish Councils

Parish Councillors' interests

All Members of each Parish Council are required by law to sign up to a Code of Conduct which outlines the conduct expected of them during their term of office. 

A new Code of Conduct was approved by the Council on 18 July 2012 and some parishes have adopted this code.

The Code states that a Member must  notify the Monitoring Officer of any disclosable pecuniary as defined by regulations made by the Secretary of State.  The regulations currently in force are as determined by the Government.

[Note: the regulations currently in force apply where the disclosable pecuniary interest is their spouse’s or civil partner’s or is the pecuniary interest of somebody with whom they are living as a husband or wife or as if they were civil partners.]

If a disclosable pecuniary interest, as defined above, has not been entered into the Parish Council’s Register, a Parish Councillor must disclose an interest to any meeting of the Parish Council at which they are present where a Parish Councillor has a disclosable interest in any matter being considered and whether the matter is not a ‘sensitive interest’.  Following any such disclosure of an interest, the Parish Councillor must notify the Monitoring Officer within 28 days beginning with the date of disclosure.

In addition to the disclosable pecuniary interests a Parish Councillor must notify the Monitoring Officer in writing of the details of any other personal interests, where they fall within the descriptions above for inclusion in the Register of Interests.

A Parish Councillor must, within 28 days of becoming aware of any new interest or change to any interest to be registered under the requirements of the code, notify the Monitoring Officer of the details of that new interest or change.

For further information on Parish Councillor interests, please contact the Clerk to the relevant Parish Council.