Melton Borough Council

Apply for an animal or home boarding licence

If you board cats or dogs in kennels then you must obtain a licence from us.  We also now licence people who ‘home board’, for example by having a dog for someone overnight in your own home.

Licensing helps maintain good management of the accommodation and help protect against fire and the spread of disease. 

Animal boarding establishments must check that the animals have their vaccinations up to date before they are accepted.

Current fees

Our current charges for these licences are shown on our fees page.

How to apply

Applications can be made online by clicking on the link below.

When submitting this form any personal information you give to us is covered by the Licensing Privacy Notice

If you would prefer to complete a paper application it can be printed here

Apply for an animal boarding or home boarding licence

Licences are granted for the period January to December (There are no pro-rata refunds for applications made part way through the year).

If this is a new business make sure you have any necessary planning permissions. You can also seek advice from Environmental Health.

We have no powers to licence dog walkers.