Melton Borough Council

Apply for an animal boarding licence

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 stipulate that “providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs” is a licensable activity by the definition below:

“providing or arranging for the provision of accommodation for other people’s cats or dogs in the course of a business on any premises where the provision of that accommodation is a purpose of the business by:

  • providing boarding for cats;
  • providing boarding in kennels for dogs;
  • providing home boarding for dogs; or
  • providing day care for dogs”

Exemptions are listed in the regulations

Licence conditions

Each licence is subject to a set of mandatory general conditions and a set of mandatory specific conditions which are listed in the regulations and Defra guidance

Star rating and licence length

Premises can be awarded 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 STARS

Licences can be granted for one, two or three years.

The length of licence issued and, the number of stars awarded will be dependent on the outcome of a risk assessment and also the number of additional required higher standards and optional higher standards that are met.  This will be assessed during an inspection by Melton Borough Council’s appointed Officer.

The licence specific, required higher standards and optional higher standards are listed in the Defra guidance documents which are available to view here .

Current fees

Our current charges for these licences are shown on our fees page.

Pre-application advice

We understand that you may be unsure whether your business/activities fall within the scope of the new regulations and as such we are offering a pre-application service. 

If this is something you would like to access then please complete and return this questionnaire in as much detail as possible so we may determine whether an application is required in your personal circumstances and what the next steps for you would be.

How to apply

Applications can be made using the form linked below.

When submitting this form any personal information you give to us is covered by the Licensing Privacy Notice


Apply for an animal boarding or home boarding licence

You will need to ensure you have the necessary authorisation under the Planning Acts to operate your business. Please contact the Development Control Team by emailing You can also find further advice by visiting our pages on planning permissions . You can also seek advice from Environmental Health..

We have no powers to licence dog walkers.

If you require any assistance then please email