Melton Borough Council

My Account system upgrade update

We are making changes to My Account. If you have an existing My Account please check for an email from us with details about your new upgraded account.

Apply for a exotic, dangerous or wild animals licence


The keeping of certain species of wild animals is controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.  If you wish to keep one of the animals on the list then you must obtain a licence from us first.

To apply for a licence complete the application form below and submit this to us with your payment of the fee, which is shown on our separate table of fees.  Both applications will also require a vet's inspection which is also payable by you.

You can pay the licence fee either by cheque, payable to Melton Borough Council or using our online facility

Download application form

The licence will run from January until December and will need to be renewed every 2 years. Renewals must be applied for before the licence expires. 


This licensing process does not apply to dangerous animals kept in:
• a zoological garden;
• circus;
• pet shops;
• places registered under the Cruelty to Animals Act 1876 for the purpose of performing experiments