Melton Borough Council

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

Apply for this licence if you are hosting a one-off event selling alcohol or providing entertainment on a temporary basis.  The fee of £21 can be paid  online or you can send us a cheque payable to Melton Borough Council (your application is not valid until the fee has been paid, so you must allow enough time). For more information please see the GOV.UK website.

How to apply

Option 1 - Download, print and complete the form and send one to Licensing, one to Environmental Health and one copy to Leicestershire Police. We can accept these by email using the links above or accept hard copies by post, provided they arrive in time and the fee paid.  The postal address for Leicestershire Police is The Chief Officer of Police, The Licensing Section, Mansfield House, 74 Belgrave Gate, Leicester LE1 3GG

Option 2 - Alternatively please complete the form online (Option 2 below) and this will automatically send a copy of your form to the Police, Licensing and Environmental Health before redirecting you to our online payments system. Without making a payment your application will be invalid.

Restrictions on Temporary Event Notices (TENs)

  • TENs require 10 working days’ notice (Ten working days” (and other periods of days which apply to other requirements in relation to TENs) exclude the day the notice is received and the first day of the event).
  • Late TENs (accepted in exceptional circumstances only) require five clear working days notice.
  • A TEN can only be used for up to 499 people. Any more requires a full Premises Licence.
  • Non Personal Licence holders may submit only five TENs each calendar year of these not more than two can be late TENs
  • Personal Licence holders are limited to 50 TENs per year of these not more than 10 can be late TENs.
  • A TEN can licence activities for up to 168 continuous hours
  • There must be at least 24 hours between any two TENs
  • The premises are limited to 15 TENs per calendar year over no more than 21 days (also, where an event spans midnight it will count as covering two days).
  • The Police and Environmental Health can object and require modifications of your notice

Statutory guidance notes

Whether you complete the form on paper or online, you may wish to refer to these guidance notes which are referred to throughout the application form.  



Option 1: Download paper application form


Option 2: complete and submit form online

When submitting this form any personal information you give to us is covered by the Licensing Privacy Notice