Melton Borough Council

Affording your rent or mortgage

Difficulty paying your rent

If you have difficulty paying your rent you need to take action straight away. If you get advice and help straight away you stand a better chance of coming to an arrangement with your landlord to help you stay living in your home.

Tell your landlord

It is important to tell your landlord straight away if you are having difficulty paying your rent. If you talk to them early enough they are usually willing to agree a sensible payment plan so you can pay off any rent arrears and avoid losing your home. The longer you leave it the more difficult it is to make an agreement.

Get advice

Contact the Citizen’s Advice Bureau as soon as you can - they will help you make sure you are getting all the welfare benefits you are entitled to (including housing and council tax) and help you sort out a budget to make sure your priority expenses (like rent) are paid first. They will also help you negotiate with your landlord.

We would recommend that you don't:

  • take out a loan to pay off debts - this will only make matters worse
  • pay for advice that you can get free
  • bury your head in the sand - your problems will only get worse