Melton Borough Council

Affording your rent or mortgage

Mortgage arrears or payment difficulties

If you have difficulty paying your mortgage, problems are easier to resolve if they are tackled at an early stage. You may be able to avoid losing your home by getting advice and coming to an arrangement with your mortgage lender or the courts.

Get advice

Get help from one of the housing advice organisations

Talk to your lender

If you get into financial difficulties and find you can't pay your mortgage talk to your lender. They have a set procedure for dealing with situations like yours. For example, depending on your circumstances, your lender may agree to change your payments to something you can manage.