Dispose of a large or bulky item
Please note: We are suspending our bulky waste collections from Monday 23 March. We will therefore not be taking any bookings for collections until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience and will resume the service as soon as possible.
Where can I dispose of my bulky items?
- Donate furniture to the Melton Furniture project
- Try to recycle it - advertise it on Freecycle
- Sell the item - try sites like ebay, Gumtree or the market place and groups on facebook
- If buying a new item, check if the shop will take away your old items.
- You may be able to dispose of it at your local household recycling centre. Please visit Leicestershire County Council to find your closest household recycling centre.
Information about our bulky item collection service
We provide a collection service to domestic properties for bulky household items that are too big to put in your bin.
For £32.00, we will collect and dispose of up to five large items from your home (excluding white goods).
Discounted rates are available to people in receipt of Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support (if you are unsure if you are entitled to a discount, please call 01664 502502).
We will collect items such as:
We can not collect certain items. These include:
- fixture and fittings such as bathroom suites and boilers
- general builders waste
- bags of rubble
- doors - internal and external
- gas bottles
|Number of Items||Price||Discount for people claiming Pension Credits, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.|
1 (excluding white goods)
|2-5 (excluding white goods)||£32.00||£25|
|More than 5 items||£32.00 + £11.50 for each additional item||£25 + £10.50 for each additional item|
|1 White Good collection||£26.20||
Each white good you wish to dispose of is charged at £26.20 (fridges, freezers, dishwashers, cookers, washing machines etc.)
Book a collection
You can book a bulky item collection online.
To arrange a collection, you will need:
- a valid debit card for the fee
Please note: This service is only for domestic properties. We do not provide bulky item collections for schools or businesses.
What happens next?
- Melton Town - your collection will take place the following Monday (if this falls on a bank holiday your collection will take place 1 week later)
- Villages - your collection will take place the following Tuesday
- leave your items outside your home by 7am for our operators to collect.
- ensure we can see your items from the roadside.
- If you want to cancel or change an exsiting collection call Melton Borough Council 01664 502 502 (at least 24 hours before your scheduled collection).
Using private, unauthorised waste collection companies, may result in prosecution or the issuing of a fixed penalty notice. It is your legal responsibility to ensure your waste is disposed of correclty.