Apply for a taxi drivers licence
We issue 3 year combined Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Drivers Licences which allow a driver to drive ether a Hackney Carriage or a Private Hire Vehicle. To apply you will need to
- complete the application form and also provide us with:
- Disclosure & Barring Services Criminal Records enhanced check (these can take approximately 8 weeks). You will need to make an appointment with the Licensing & Compliance Officer to present your identity documents. .
- DVLA check. A code can be generated for free on the DVLA website which you can do, or by paying £5 and completing the DVLA form.
- Medical form from a GP
- Passport photograph
- Driving Licence
- Take the taxi knowledge test
Before your licence can be granted, you will need to take the Local Knowledge Test for new drivers. This test is made up of three parts
- the first part is to test your knowledge of the legislation and our taxi licensing policy
- the second tests your knowledge of the town streets and nearby transport links
- the third is a test of your knowledge of the Highway Code.
Please email us to arrange a mutually convenient time to take the test. The £10 fee for the test must be paid in advance and the receipt brought with you.
Fees and charges
Current licence fees are available in our licensing charges page
There are also the following additional charges:
- Medical cert (your doctor will charge you directly for this)
- Disability Discrimination Awareness training
- Child Sexual Exploitation awareness training.
- Knowledge test £10 per test
Further details regarding the requirements on Drivers, Vehicles and Operators can be found in our licensing policy