Apply for a vehicle licence
Private Hire and Hackney vehicles licensing.
Please contact customer services to arrange a date to hand this into the Council.
Vehicle licences run for one year.
If you apply for a private hire vehicle licence you will also need a private hire operator licence.
To licence a vehicle we require the following:
- Completed application form
- Pay fee online. The current fee is shown on table of fees. You cannot pay on collection of your licence
- For Hackney Carriages only: a valid calibration certificate from N&J Pitt Taximeter Services, Nottingham
- A valid MOT certificate
- The vehicle Registration Certificate (V5 Logbook)
- Valid motor insurance certificate (covering for hire & reward)
- A completed taxi test form from the approved garage
- Vehicles over the age of 10 years cannot be licensed
- all vehicles on first registration must be less than 6 years old on the date of the application for the licence.
- Vehicles over the age of 8 years must undergo and pass two vehicle tests per year, at six-monthly intervals.
- The maximum number of passengers is 8. You must consider though whether your vehicle can comfortably carry the number you request AND luggage, and be able to justify this.
- All Private Hire vehicles are now issued with two door stickers for the vehicle. These stickers indicate that the vehicle can only be pre-booked and cannot be hailed in the street
- This is not a full list of exclusions and conditions. You must check our Policy for the latest requirements.