Apply for a vehicle licence
Private Hire and Hackney vehicles licensing
Please contact customer services to arrange a date to hand this into the Council.
Vehicle licences run for one year.
If you apply for a private hire vehicle licence you will also need a private hire operator licence.
To licence a vehicle we require the following:
- Completed application form
- Pay fee online. The current fee is shown on table of fees. You cannot pay on collection of your licence
- For Hackney Carriages only: a valid calibration certificate from N&J Pitt Taximeter Services, Nottingham
- A valid MOT certificate
- The vehicle Registration Certificate (V5 Logbook)
- Valid motor insurance certificate (covering for hire & reward)
- A completed taxi test form from the approved garage
- Vehicles over the age of 10 years cannot be licensed
- all vehicles on first registration must be less than 6 years old on the date of the application for the licence.
- Vehicles over the age of 8 years must undergo and pass two vehicle tests per year, at six-monthly intervals.
- The maximum number of passengers is 8. You must consider though whether your vehicle can comfortably carry the number you request AND luggage, and be able to justify this.
- All Private Hire vehicles are now issued with two door stickers for the vehicle. These stickers indicate that the vehicle can only be pre-booked and cannot be hailed in the street
- This is not a full list of exclusions and conditions. You must check our Policy for the latest requirements.
Changes of name and address, or lost licences
If you need to change your name or address with us or have lost your licence and need a replacement, there is a charge for this. See our current table of fees
Please send requests for replacement licences (specifying which licence is required) confirmation of change of details in writing via email to Licensing@melton.gov.uk or by post to The Licensing Department, Melton Borough Council, Parkside, Burton Street, Melton Mowbray, LE13 1GH