Transfer a vehicle licence
Option 1: Transfer a currently licensed vehicle to a new owner
If a currently licensed taxi or private hire vehicle is sold to a new owner, the new owner may wish to continue to licence it.
To do this we would require the following:
- A Formal Letter from the previous owner of the vehicle to notify us of who they have sold to and the date the vehicle was sold or evidence of purchase.
- A copy of the current Hackney Carriage Licence.
- The Original Registration Document, showing the new owners details or the new keepers supplement.
- A Valid MOT
- Valid insurance
- Payment of the current fee (please use the fee for replacing paper licence)
Option 2: Change the type of licence on a vehicle
If you have a vehicle currently licensed as a hackney carriage but wish to change it to a private hire licence (or vice versa) then we will require the following:
- Completed application form to change a vehicle licence type
- Payment of the current fee (please add together the fees for replacing paper licence, replacing internal plate/sticker and replacing external plate)
Vehicles being turned into hackney carriages will also need to have a calibrated meter fitted and display the table of fares.