Melton Borough Council

Contaminated recycling will not be collected from October 1st 2019

From 1st October 2019 your recycling bin will not be emptied if it contains non-recyclable item(s) You will need to remove the item(s) and we will empty the bin on your next brown bin collection day.

Click here to see what can go in your brown bins

Privacy Notices

Homelessness - Privacy Notice

Melton Borough Council - Privacy Notice:

Housing Service – homelessness

Who we are

Melton Borough Council uses your personal data to provide you with the Housing Service relating to homelessness.

Our Data Protection Officer is the Corporate Improvement Manager at Parkside, Station Approach, Burton Street, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire LE13 1GH. They can be emailed at

Why we process your data

Our Housing Service relating to homelessness can process your personal data under the Local Government Act 1972 and the Localism Act 2011, and specifically under the Housing Act 1996, Part VII, as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002, and the Localism Act 2011.

It processes your data for the following purposes:

  • To carry out investigations under the Housing Act 1996 Part VII as amended by the Homelessness Act 2002 and the Localism Act 2011, in connection with the provision of appropriate advice and accommodation.

Who we share your data with

We sometimes share your data with the following organisations:

  • Other public authorities and public partnerships (e.g. councils, schools, NHS providers, Police, government departments etc.)
  • Voluntary and non-commercial sector organisations that help us deliver services
  • Businesses that we contract with to help us deliver services

We take part in the Cabinet Office's National Fraud Initiative: a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud. To see what we must give the Minister for the Cabinet Office, click here

We also share your data with the Ministry of Housing, Communities, and Local Government for the purpose of the Continuous Recording of lettings and sales in social housing (CORE).

How we keep your data secure in other countries

Where the Council transfers your data to any organisation in a third country or international organisation (e.g. using Cloud storage) appropriate or suitable safeguards will be written into the contract. You can ask for a copy of the contracts here.

How long we keep your data for

The Council is required to keep your data for 7 years.

Your rights

You have the following rights:

  • To ask for a copy of the data we hold on you
  • To ask us to delete data on you that we no longer need
  • To ask us to correct data about you that is wrong
  • To ask us to stop processing your data temporarily if you think it is wrong until we work out what is correct
  • To ask us to let you take a copy of your data in a portable format to another organisation

You can put in a request for any of these here.

The basis for processing your data is statutory, and failure to provide such data would mean that we would have to make a decision on the basis of the information we did hold, which may have a detrimental effect on the assistance we can provide to you.

Profiling and automated decisions

We do not currently undertake any profiling activities or take automated decisions about you.

How to complain

You can complain to the Council here. If you are not happy with our response, you can request a review, and if, after that, you are still unsatisfied, you can then take the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office