National Non-Domestic Rates Service - Privacy Notice
Melton Borough Council - Privacy Notice:
National Non-Domestic Rates service
Who we are
Melton Borough Council uses your personal data to provide you with the National Non-Domestic Rates service.
Our Data Protection Officer is the Corporate Improvement Manager at Parkside, Station Approach, Burton Street, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire LE13 1GH. They can be emailed at email@example.com
Why we process your data
Our National Non-Domestic Rates service can process your personal data under the Local Government Act 1972 and the Localism Act 2011, and specifically under the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
It processes your data for the following purposes:
- To provide a service for the billing, collection and administration of National Non-Domestic Rates.
Who we share your data with
The Council sometimes shares your data with the following organisations:
- Other public authorities and public partnerships (e.g. councils, schools, NHS providers, Police, government departments etc.)
- Collection Agents.
We take part in the Cabinet Office's National Fraud Initiative: a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud. To see what we must give the Minister for the Cabinet Office, click here.
How we keep your data secure in other countries
Where the Council transfers your data to any organisation in a third country or international organisation (e.g. using Cloud storage) appropriate or suitable safeguards will be written into the contract. You can ask for a copy of the contracts here.
How long we keep your data for
The Council is required to keep your data permanently.
You have the following rights:
- To ask for a copy of the data we hold on you
- To ask us to delete data on you that we no longer need
- To ask us to correct data about you that is wrong
- To ask us to stop processing your data temporarily if you think it is wrong until we work out what is correct
- To ask us to let you take a copy of your data in a portable format to another organisation
You can put in a request for any of these here.
The basis for processing your data is statutory, and the Council is able to prosecute for withholding the information.
Profiling and automated decisions
We do not currently undertake any profiling activities or take automated decisions about you.
How to complain
You can complain to the Council here. If you are not happy with our response, you can request a review, and if, after that, you are still unsatisfied, you can then take the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office.