Melton Borough Council

My Account system upgrade update

We are making changes to My Account. If you have an existing My Account please check for an email from us with details about your new upgraded account.

Privacy Notices

Planning and Land Charges - Privacy Notice

Melton Borough Council - Privacy Notice:

Planning and Land Charges

Who we are

Melton Borough Council uses your personal data to provide you with the Planning and Land Charges service.

Our Data Protection Officer is the Corporate Improvement Manager at Parkside, Station Approach, Burton Street, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire LE13 1GH. They can be emailed at

Why we process your data

Our Planning and Land Charges service can process your personal data under the Local Government Act 1972 and the Localism Act 2011, and specifically under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, the Local Land Charges Act 1975, and the Local Land Charges Rules 1977. We also deal with personal data in relation to the reporting and remediation of dangerous structures under the Building Act 1974.

It processes your data for the following purposes:

  • To enable the determination of planning and associated applications.
  • The recording of charges and other restrictions on the use or occupation of properties and land.
  • To enable the remediation of dangerous structures.

Who we share your data with

The Council sometimes shares your data with the following organisations:

We take part in the Cabinet Office's National Fraud Initiative: a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud. To see what we must give the Minister for the Cabinet Office, click here.

How we keep your data secure in other countries

Where the Council transfers your data to any organisation in a third country or international organisation (e.g. using Cloud storage) appropriate or suitable safeguards will be written into the contract. You can ask for a copy of the contracts here. 

How long we keep your data for

The Council is required to keep your data for permanently for these purposes.

Your rights

You have the following rights:

  • To ask for a copy of the data we hold on you
  • To ask us to delete data on you that we no longer need
  • To ask us to correct data about you that is wrong
  • To ask us to stop processing your data temporarily if you think it is wrong until we work out what is correct
  • To ask us to let you take a copy of your data in a portable format to another organisation

You can put in a request for any of these here

The basis for processing your data is statutory. The data are necessary to enable the processes and procedures to be carried out. Without the data, the Council would be unable to process applications and searches, and unable to grant a planning permission.

Profiling and automated decisions

We do not currently undertake any profiling activities or take automated decisions about you.

How to complain

You can complain to the Council here. If you are not happy with our response, you can request a review, and if, after that, you are still unsatisfied, you can then take the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office.