Melton Borough Council

Apply for a personal alcohol licence

Personal licences are required for anyone who is required to authorise the sales of alcohol at a premises.  They also enable you to apply for 50 Temporary Event Notices each year rather than the normal five.

Personal licence holders must:

  • Be a resident of the Melton Borough Council area
  • Be over 18 years old
  • Have no 'unspent' relevant or foreign convictions as detailed in Schedule 4 and Section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003 

To apply please complete and return to us:

  • Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders - this is a one day course with a multiple choice exam. There are various course providers.
  • Basic Disclosure - a basic disclosure report from Disclosure Scotland or a criminal conviction search carried out on the police national computer. It can take two to three weeks for a disclosure search to be returned. (Note: The disclosure search must be no older than one month from its issue date when applying.
  • Two passport size photographs - one of the photographs must be endorsed as a true likeliness of the applicant by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or an individual with a professional qualification
  • Disclosure of convictions and declaration - any relevant convictions or foreign offences, as detailed in Schedule 4 and Section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003, must be declared on this form. Please ensure the form is signed and dated
  • Application form for a personal licence - please complete the form in full and ensure all the items on the checklist (Part 5) are present
  • Correct fee - the fee for a personal licence application is £37 and payable to Melton Borough Council. It is not refundable if the application is withdrawn or is unsuccessful

You will also need to:

Expiry of personal licences

Please note that you are no longer required to renew your Personal Licence after 10 years.  Instead personal licences will now remain valid indefinitely, unless they are either surrendered or revoked.

Lost licences and changes of address