Melton Borough Council

Contaminated recycling will not be collected

Your recycling bin will not be emptied if it contains non-recyclable item(s) You will need to remove the item(s) and we will empty the bin on your next brown bin collection day.

Click here to see what can go in your brown bins

Register a food business

Register a food business

If you are starting a food business in our council area, or taking over an existing one you must register with us.

You do not have to be a company or make a profit to be classed as a food business.  It covers a variety of activities ranging from large food factories to people who bake cakes at home to sell, and voluntary groups who cook meals for other people.  One-off catering, such as school fêtes are unlikely to need registering as there has to be a degree of continuity to it. 

All you need to do is complete the electronic form above and submit this to us.  There is no charge for registration.  We will then likely need to carry out an inspection.   

Please note that when submitting the registration form any personal information you give to us is covered by the Environmental Health Privacy Notice.  The information you supply is also subject to any Freedom of Information requests we may receive.

If you run a mobile business, such as a burger van or ice cream van then you need to register wherever the van is parked overnight.

New businesses

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) have produced a useful booklet on starting a food business and what you need to do.  

You can download the booklet below:

FSA Food Safety Starting up booklet

You can also get general business help and advice from the Leicester and Leicestershire Enterprise Partnership

Catering businesses will likely need to complete a copy of Safer Food Better Businesses.  You can download it for free from the FSA's website.  Alternatively you can design your own risk assessment system based on the principles of HACCP

Products of animal origin and 'approved premises' 

Some food businesses that are making products of animal origin (such as cheese or meat based products) and who sell these to other businesses or outside the area, may need to be approved by us instead.  See the next page for more details