Melton Borough Council

Permitted development

Permitted development rights allow certain types of development to be undertaken without the need for prior planning permission.

Permitted development is allowed by The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015, also known as the GPDO.

There is an extremely helpful interactive guide within the pages of the Planning Portal website that provides guidance on the permitted development limits for residential property.

The current GPDO is divided into a number of parts which set out categories of permitted development.

In order for development to be permitted, certain criteria must be met and this is set out in the GPDO.  The kind of developments which may constitute permitted without the need for planning permission are:

  • These relating to certain types of building, including alterations to domestic properties, industrial, warehouse and agricultural development;
  • Those given to certain types of organisations which regularly carry out development, including local authorities, parish councils and statutory undertakers such as water authorities, electricity suppliers and telecommunications operators 

Remember, the Rules are complex and you should always contact the Council before starting any development.


Sometimes we may need to restrict permitted development rights, particularly in sensitive areas, and the GPDO allows us to do this.  Article 4 of the GPDO restricts certain permitted development rights.  We may use the following measures to restrict or limit permitted development rights:

  • By conditions on a planning approval, particularly in sensitive areas such as Conservation Areas or where additional alterations would affect amenity.
  • Through Article 4 Directions, which allows the removal of some or all permitted development rights, for example within a conservation area or the curtilage of a listed building. 
  • Through Article 3 restrictions which include the removal of permitted development rights for proposals which would be a Schedule 1 or Schedule 2 development application within the Town and Country Planning (Assessment of Environmental Effects) Regulations 1988 and which require an Environmental Assessment.

A copy of proposed or current Article 4 directions are available to view here.