Melton Borough Council

Domestic noise

Report a nuisance

Noise nuisances in the home

One of the most common causes of domestic noise complaints is loud music and TV noises.                

Some people would accept hearing a loud recording of a violin concerto but they would not tolerate a quieter dance recording with a heavy bass beat. This difference in taste, and often lifestyle, means that music complaints are always difficult to deal with and can lead to stress and arguments between neighbours.

I am bothered by noise... what can I do?

When noise from a neighbouring property is causing a nuisance, initially the best way to deal with the problem is to go to the source and try to resolve it amicably. Often your neighbour will not be aware that they are even causing a problem.

If you don't feel comfortable contacting your neighbour face to face, why not write them a letter using our template guide.

The Defra website also provides useful information and advice concerning noise.

If you wish to make a formal complaint then please contact us.  This will enable us to determine whether the noise constitutes a Statutory Nuisance, which is actionable.

Noise nusiance in Council properties:

If your noise complaint is coming from a Council property, please visit our antisocial behaviour page to contact the team there.