Melton Borough Council

Severn Trent report

UPDATE: Severn Trent have informed that the issues with low water pressure or no supply in the LE13 area have now been resolved. If you are still experiencing problems please contact STW directly

Noise from businesses

1. Noise from music and entertainment

Many people enjoy nights out in pubs and clubs, but sometimes the level of noise from the music can be a real problem for neighbours.

Many pubs, restaurants and other premises are licensed for regulated entertainment which can include music and dancing. There will likely be conditions on the individual licence regarding the times the entertainment can be conducted along with restrictions on audibility. Complaints in relation to licensed premises should be addressed to the Licensing Enforcement Officer in the first instance.

How do I complain?

  1. Firstly consider speaking direct to the business.  They may be unaware of quite how noisy they are.
  2. If this fails then contact our Licensing Enforcement Officers with your complaint details. 
  3. You may also take your own action in the form of requesting a review of the licence for the premises.  In this instance please contact the Licensing Section for the appropriate form.

How are complaints dealt with?

The matter may be dealt with in one or more of the following ways;

  • Liaising informally with the business owners to resolve things amicably
  • Establishing whether there is enough evidence to ‘review’ the licence. This could have the effect of either suspending or revoking the licence or amending some or all of the conditions attached to the licence. There would be a hearing and evidence from neighbours can add strength to the case.
  • The noise may be classed as a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, if appropriate. This can result in service of a notice requiring abatement of the noise. Failure to comply can result in prosecution and/or seizure of noise equipment.
  • There is a Night Noise Offence which results in the service of a £500 fixed penalty notice. The offence has to occur between the hours of 11pm and 7am. Following service of a warning notice on the offending premises, the enforcement officer will take noise readings and if the noise of the event within the complaints dwelling is greater than 10dB above the background noise level, a fixed penalty notice may be served.

2. Noise from General Commercial Businesses

Sometimes businesses as part of their normal day to day running may cause noise problems with their equipment and machinery.  This can be deemed a statutory nuisance in extreme cases and require enforcement action.  You can also take your own action if you wish.

Some businesses may have a pollution permit which restricts the amount of noise nuisance they can cause.