You are here: Home | Our services | Discretionary Payments

Discretionary Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) and Discretionary Council Tax Support (DCTS) are short term awards for people in extreme financial hardship to help you meet your housing or council tax costs.

What are Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)?
DHPs can help if you need help with paying your housing costs. They are paid by the Council in addition to any housing benefit you receive. You must get at least 50p in housing benefit to apply for a DHP or have the housing element included in your Universal Credit award. 

*An example of housing costs includes rent, moving costs, rent deposits and rent in advance.

What is Discretionary Council Tax Support (DCTS)?
DCTS can help if you need help paying your Council Tax bill. They are paid by the Council in addition to any council tax support you receive. Normally you must receive council tax support to apply for DCTS however there are a small number of other situations where you can apply if you do not receive council tax support.


How to apply? 

To apply for a DHP/DCTS contact the Me and My Learning team on or phone: 01664 502342. Payments are decided on a case by case basis and if successful you are expected to work effectively with our wider services and partners whilst receiving this payment.