Your toilets - Have your say
This consultation closed on 1st March 2016. Results will be available soon.
The story so far...
Your Toilets – Have Your Say – Summary of initial consultation
This feedback has helped the Council in developing options for public toilets in the Town Centre. See the results of this survey.
Going forward - options & costs
As well as providing modern, fit for purpose toilets, the Council needs to be sure there is value for money in all its services and ideally where possible work towards the income covering the cost of the service. To help with this several options are being considered
- refurbish the St. Mary’s Way and Wilton Road toilets at a cost of £160,000
- replace with semi automatic toilets at two sites in the Town Centre ie. Wilton Road Car Park and St. Mary’s Way or at the Bike Park at the top of Windsor Street at an estimated cost of £130,000
- sell existing toilet buildings at Park Lane and Wilton Road to bring in income which will help with the cost of new toilets
- themed toilets and how these would look and operate
- review opening times and charging arrangements including making a voluntary contribution to use the toilets
- paying more for innovative design that reflects the traditional street scene
The proposal for semi automatic toilets is to replace the existing toilets at St. Mary’s Way and at Wilton Road and new semi automatic toilets be provided at these car parks or close to them, as shown on the plan below. The existing toilets would be closed and new toilets built at two sites in the Town Centre.
St. Mary’s Way and Wilton Road are the two busiest town centre short-stay car parks and by installing new toilets close to these locations would make them convenient for Town Centre users, visitors, shoppers, traders, coach drivers, those arriving by car, foot, bus, coach or train.