Information on Coronavirus

Apply for building regulations approval

If you wish to complete building works on your property you should first check whether you require a building regulations application. Most work will require an application which you must submit before starting any works. There are some exemptions. See our application advice page for more information.

How to apply

There are several types of Building Regulation applications available depending on the type of work being carried out.

Full plans application

A Full Plans Application can be used for all types of building work and is normally the best choice for work that includes;

  • Loft conversions
  • Major structural alterations
  • New buildings
  • Large extensions
What will I need

You will need to submit plans, specifications, and where necessary structural calculations along with your application. If you are undertaking commercial works, you can only submit under a Full Plan Application.

The details are checked to make sure they comply with the building regulations. Once the application is checked and found to be satisfactory it will be approved. A full plans application approval is valid for 3 years from date of deposit.


Building Notice applications

A Building Notice application must be submitted at least 48 hours prior to work commencing.

These are suitable if you are experienced in construction and plan to carry out work that is not complex where you may not wish to employ an agent. Building Notices are only suitable for domestic work and should not be used for commercial work. Under this option no detailed plans are required. 

A Building Notice application is valid for 3 years from date of acknowledgement.

New Build and Extensions

For New Build and Extensions the following information will be required;

  • a 1:1250 scale location plan (block plan), showing the proposal's size and position and its relationship to adjoining boundaries, 
  • A drainage plan indicating the proposed drainage discharges to the existing drainage systems and the position and depth of existing drainage runs.

Regularisation Application

It is quite common for alterations or extensions undertaken without building regulation approval to cause difficulties when you are selling a house. This happens when the vendor cannot supply the purchaser with the appropriate approval notice and/or completion certificate.

Regularisation applications should be completed if work has been carried out and completed on your property, without the submission of plans or giving notice at the time. We can then consider the application and assess the structural integrity of the work undertaken.

Demolition application

These are required for demolition of a building in excess of 50 cubic metres.

For more information please see our Demolish a building page. 


You should identify the application fee before completing your application form as the application cannot be completed without this information.  Please see the schedule of charges

Last updated 13 September 2021
A to Z of Council Services
Feedback button