Melton Borough Council

What to do if you are homeless

If you are homeless now or at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible.

 We will be able to provide advice, help and assistance if you are homeless or going to be homeless. We may be able to prevent your homelessness by talking to your landlord if you are in rent arrears or your mortgage lender if you cannot afford to keep up with your monthly payments.

Your rights if homeless

Our statutory duties

At risk of becoming homeless?

If you are not able to stay in your home we may be able to help you find alternative housing either in private rented housing or social housing.

If you have been served notice to leave your property by your landlord please contact us as soon as possible. DO NOT give up your accommodation if you have nowhere else to go.

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) agreement your landlord must give you at least 2 months notice to leave

If you have any other type of tenancy agreement or a license agreement and your landlord has given you notice then please talk to the Housing Options Team as soon as possible.

If we are unable to assist you we will refer you to the relevant supporting agencies.

We will be able to provide advice, help and assistance if you are going to lose your accomodation. It is important that you seek our advice as soon as possible so we can look at all your housing options to help you remain in your accomodation.

If you need to access our homelessness service please make sure you read our Privacy Notice.

Please also read the Privacy Notice for the Government's homelessness study which Melton Borough Council is part of.

 Contact us by phone, e-mail or letter

Housing Options, Melton Borough Council, Council Offices, Station Approach, Burton Road, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE13 1GH Tel: 01664502502

You can also e-mail us at :

If you are a public authority looking to make a referral, please go to the next page.

What to do if you are concerned about someone you think may be sleeping rough:

If you are worried or concerned about  a person you think may sleeping rough or is rough sleeping during the cold weather  please call Melton Borough Council on 01664 502502 and ask to speak to the housing options team. You can also email your concerns to