Melton Borough Council

Proof of evidence

Acceptable proof of identity

When we receive your application for benefits or council tax support we will send you a list of the information you will need to provide and then confirm this in writing.

Any document that we receive will be returned to you as soon as possible, if you do not want to send documents through the post you can bring them into the Council offices or children's centres to be photocopied.

  • Driving licence
  • Bank statements dates within 4 weeks of your claim
  • Utility bill paid with in the last quarter
  • Birth or Marriage certificate
  • Valid passport
  • Certificate of employment 
  • Divorce papers
  • Life assurance or insurance policies
  • Benefit payment book/ benefit letter within 4 weeks of claim
  • UK residence permit
  • Letter for solicitor/ social worker/ probation officer/ inland revenue
  • Identity card issued by EEC member state