Melton Borough Council

About Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

It is a single monthly payment for working age people in or out of work, which merges together some of the benefits and tax credits that you might normally expect to apply for or already receive as separate payments.

What benefits does it replace? 

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Child and Working Tax Credits

If you are of working age and already receive housing benefit you will continue to receive this unless your claim ends or you have a significant change.

Universal Credit does not include any amounts to help with your Council Tax charge. You will need to apply seperatly for help with your Council Tax bil.

More infomation about Universal Credit.