Information on Coronavirus

Apply for a licence to sell animals as pets

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 stipulate that “selling animals as pets” is a licensable activity by the definition below:

“Selling animals as pets (or with a view to their being later resold as pets) in the course of a business including keeping animals in the course of a business with a view to their being so sold or resold”

Exemptions are listed in the regulations.

This covers any sale including those made through online media.

Licence conditions

Each licence is subject to a set of mandatory general conditions and a set of mandatory specific conditions which are listed in the regulations and Defra guidance.

Star rating and licence length

Premises can be awarded 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 stars.

Licences can be granted for one, two or three years.

The length of licence issued and the number of stars awarded will be dependent on the outcome of a risk assessment and also the number of additional required higher standards and optional higher standards that are met. This will be assessed during an inspection by Melton Borough Council’s appointed Officer. The licence specific: required higher standards; and optional higher standards; are listed in the DEFRA guidance documents.

Current fees

For a list of charges, please see our Animal licensing fees page.

Pre-application advice

We understand that you may be unsure whether your business/activities fall within the scope of the new regulations and as such we are offering a pre-application service. 

If this is something you would like to access then please complete and return the questionnaire in as much detail as possible so we may determine whether an application is required in your personal circumstances and what the next steps for you would be.

How to apply

Applications can be made using the form in the download panel.

When submitting this form any personal information you give to us is covered by the Licensing Privacy Notice.

You will need to ensure you have the necessary authorisation under the Planning Acts to operate your business. Please contact the Development Control Team by emailing You can also find further advice by visiting our pages on planning permissions. You can also seek advice from Environmental Health.

If you require any assistance then please email

Last updated 14 October 2021
A to Z of Council Services
Feedback button