We offer a paid for pre-application advice service for householders and developers. For all proposals we aim to make initial contact within 10 working days of receiving a valid enquiry (this includes sufficient information for us to assess the enquiry, in addition to the form and relevant fee). For smaller proposals we aim to respond fully to requests within 10 working days of receiving the valid enquiry.
The complexity of the enquiry will determine the way in which it is dealt with by us. Sometimes we may arrange a meeting to discuss the enquiry in more detail, however responses are often provided in writing.
The advice that we give you may include:
- If proposals are in line with the National, Regional and Local planning policy framework, if it is not, how they could be justified
- If the site is covered by any specific policies or covered by any other designations or safeguards
- If proposals take account the impact on local needs and facilities, for example the impact on transport, education or community use and how a S106 Agreement or Obligation might mitigate against such effects
- The characteristics of the existing site and surrounding context
- The architectural approach including the height, scale, massing and materials
- The environmental impact of the development including sustainable design and construction
- The design of the public realm including open space and landscape treatment
- Provide advice on the Council’s affordable housing and housing supply requirements
- The impact your proposal may have on a listed building or, if within a conservation area, an unlisted building on or near the site
- When a proposal is in or adjoining a conservation area, in our opinion the development would preserve or enhance the character and appearance of that conservation area
- Where there are any trees or hedgerows that are protected and require special treatment
- How the council’s public open space policies will impact on your proposal and whether a financial contribution under a S106 agreement might be appropriate
- If, the proposal is within a flood plain, whether it is feasible to build in the area or advise on the level of mitigation required.
- Habitats regulations/ Environmental Impact Assessment information
- Advice about which other agencies you need to speak to e.g. County Council, Natural England etc.
- In the opinion of the Council, any further information that would require submission with a full planning application
- In respect of larger more complex development proposals we will also agree a timescale with you for the production of the written confirmation advice given by us at any meeting and/or site visit. If this is part of a pre-arranged block of meetings, we will also agree milestones for the delivery of further information or the arrangement of future meetings will be discussed.