Sometimes we will need to arrange a meeting to discuss the application in more detail or we will give you advice over the phone or in writing.
The advice we give you may include:
- If proposals are in line with the National, Regional and Local planning policy framework, if it is not, how they could be justified
- If the site is covered by any specific policies or covered by any other designations or safeguards
- If proposals take account the impact on local needs and facilities, for example the impact on transport, education or community use and how a S106 Agreement or Obligation might mitigate against such effects
- The characteristics of the existing site and surrounding context
- The architectural approach including the height, scale, massing and materials
- The environmental impact of the development including sustainable design and construction
- The design of the public realm including open space and landscape treatment
- Provide advice on the Council’s affordable housing and housing supply requirements
- The impact your proposal may have on a listed building or, if within a conservation area, an unlisted building on or near the site
- When a proposal is in or adjoining a conservation area, in our opinion the development would preserve or enhance the character and appearance of that conservation area
- Where there are any trees or hedgerows that are protected and require special treatment
- How the council’s public open space policies will impact on your proposal and whether a financial contribution under a S106 agreement might be appropriate
- If, the proposal is within a flood plain, whether it is feasible to build in the area or advise on the level of mitigation required.
- Habitats regulations/ Environmental Impact Assessment information
- Advice about which other agencies you need to speak to e.g. County Council, Natural England etc.
- In the opinion of the Council, any further information that would require submission with a full planning application
- In respect of larger more complex development proposals we will also agree a timescale with you for the production of the written confirmation advice given by us at any meeting and/or site visit. If this is part of a pre-arranged block of meetings, we will also agree milestones for the delivery of further information or the arrangement of future meetings will be discussed.