We are holding Borough and Parish Elections on 4 May.

Your vote matters, don't lose it. Make sure you are registered to vote and have an accepted form of photo ID to take with you.
Visit our elections pages to find out more or register to vote.

Under occupancy

Housing benefit reductions for spare bedrooms

If you live in a council or housing association home and you have one or more 'spare' bedrooms, your housing benefit may be reduced. This is called 'under occupancy' or may also be known as 'the bedroom tax'.

The rules will restrict the size of accommodation you can receive housing benefit for, based on the number of people in your household.

This could affect you if:

  • If you live in a council or housing association property
  • If you or your partner (if applicable) are of working age
  • Even if you get a small amount of benefit - if you are working
  • If you are of working age but are sick or disabled

You won't be affected if:

  • You and your partner (if applicable) are of pension age
  • You live in a one-bedroom flat or bedsit
  • You have a shared ownership property
  • You live in supported exempt accommodation
  • You pay boat mooring charges or caravan site rent
  • You have been placed in temporary accommodation by the council as you are homeless
Last updated 26 July 2022
Feedback button