Data Protection

What is the Data Protection Act ? 

We understand the importance of ensuring that personal data, including sensitive personal data is always treated lawfully and appropriately and that the rights of individuals are upheld.

We are required to collect, use and hold personal data about individuals. Data is required for the purposes of carrying out our statutory obligations, delivering services and meeting the needs of individuals that we deal with. This includes current, past and prospective employees, service users, members of the public, Members of the Council, our business partners and other local authorities or public bodies.

Melton Borough Council is classed as a data controller. This means that we decide what personal information we need from you to provide you with services and to do the things we are required to do by law. We are registered with the Commissioner's Office – you can view our registration on their website at the link below.

The Data Protection Officer

The Data Protection Officer can be contacted by writing to Parkside, Station Approach, Burton Street, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire LE13 1GH or they can be emailed

Exercising your rights 

The UK General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018 give you a number of Rights in relation to your information these are:

  • The right to be informed – you have the right to know what information the council is processing about you
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to correct or rectify any inaccuracies in your records
  • The right to erasure or right to be forgotten – you have the right to ask for your details to be removed from the systems that we use to process your personal data
  • The right to restrict processing – you have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for the transfer of your personal data to other controllers
  • Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling. If you believe we have made an automated decision about you have the right to ask us to review that decision. 

To make a Subject Access Request please email 

How to make a complaint about how your information is being used 

If you need to make a complaint about how your personal information is being used by the Council, please contact us and provide as much information as possible so that we can conduct an investigation.

If you wish to appoint someone to act on your behalf – this could be another individual or an organisation, such as your legal representative or Citizens Advice, it is important that you make your wishes clear and provide a form of authority to them so that we know they are acting under your instruction.

If you are not happy with our response, you can request a review and if after that you are still satisfied you can refer the matter to the Information Commissioners Office. 

Privacy Information

We are committed to maintaining the privacy, security, trust and confidence of all our partners, clients and customers when you use our services. Our Privacy Notice explains how we use information about you and how we protect your privacy.

Last updated 27 March 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.