Universal Credit

All Melton Borough Council tenants in receipt of Universal Credit are reminded they must check and update their Journal with any change to their housing costs.

The Council will not let Universal Credit know about changes to your rent or any other changes.

You can report a change by logging into your Universal Credit account

What is Universal Credit

It is a single monthly payment for working age people in or out of work, which merges together some of the benefits and tax credits that you might normally expect to apply for or already receive as separate payments.

What benefits does it replace
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Child and Working Tax Credits

If you are of working age and already receive housing benefit you will continue to receive this unless your claim ends or you have a significant change.

Advance payments of Universal Credit

Once you have made a claim for Universal Credit it will normally take 5-8 weeks before you receive your first payment. If this is going to cause you financial hardship you can ask Universal Credit for a payment in advance, the different types are explained below.

Benefits transfer

If you were receiving a qualifying benefit in the last month before you claimed Universal Credit, you can ask for  up to 50% of your potential entitlement to Universal Credit. This has to be paid back in 12 monthly instalments.

For example, £360 advance = £30 repaid over 12 months from your future Universal Credit payments.

Universal Credit Advance (new claims or change in circumstances)

This is a short term discretionary advance aimed to help you until your first Universal Credit payment is received, this must be repaid in 6 months.

For example, £60 advance = £10 repaid over 6 months from your future Universal Credit payments  

To apply for either of these advances you should contact Universal Credit as soon as possible.

Budgeting Advance

This is an interest-free advance for one off items for people on a low income, more information is available from Universal Credit. 

Information for landlords

If you feel your tenant may struggle to pay their rent out of their monthly Universal Credit payment or are already in arrears you can request a managed payment. Please note you will need to get your tenant's agreement to do this.

Landlords should request payments by completing one of these forms.

Universal Credit does not include any amounts to help with your Council Tax charge. You will need to apply separately for help with your Council Tax bill.

Last updated 21 March 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.