If you have been affected by the recent flooding you may be eligible for a government grant. Find out more.

Read our Flood information and advice to make sure you are prepared for future flooding.

Food hygiene training

Before your business begins to operate and opens to the public, you need to make sure your staff have been suitably trained.  This can include formal food hygiene training or 'on the job' training from a competent person. Normally there should be at least one food handler on duty with formal training.

The Food Standards Agency website contains a lot of helpful information about training providers, the food hygiene certificate and safety coaching videos.

We are currently unable to offer food hygiene or health and safety training courses. Instead, we recommend you refer to either one of the neighbouring local authorities for details of any courses they are offering, or you look at the various independent training providers, including those online.

Food safety management

Safer Food Better Business

Before your food business begins operating and before your first food inspection, most food businesses will need to have completed a documented food safety management system. This document will explain the measures and procedures you have put in place to ensure that your food business produces food that is safe to eat.

You can either design your own system or The Food Standards Agency have produced packs for different kinds of food operations called Safer Food, Better Business (SFBB).

SFBB packs are available for the following types of business:

  • Caterers, including takeaways
  • Retail
  • Childminders
  • SFBB supplement for residential care homes
  • SFBB for Indian cuisine
  • SFBB for Chinese cuisine

You must also keep written records of all the suppliers that provide you with food or food ingredients and, in cases where you supply other businesses, full details of what you have sold to them.

Last updated 12 October 2022
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.