Exemption from paying

Who is eligible and how to apply

The council tax charge is based upon the number of people living in a property. If you're "disregarded" it means that we don't count you when we work out the number of people living there.

If you live with someone who isn't counted, it may mean that you can get a discount on your bill.

Who isn't counted

You do not have to pay Council Tax if you are:

  • A full time student or are 18 or 19 years old and have just left school
  • A student nurse or youth training trainee
  • An apprentice (depends on weekly income)
  • A patient resident in hospital
  • A resident of a residential or care home
  • A person with a severe mental impairment
  • In prison (except if you are in prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine)
  • A non-British person who isn't allowed to work or claim benefits and are a dependant of students
  • A member of visiting forces, international headquarters or defence organisations
  • A member of a religious community (a monk or a nun)
  • a diplomat (including your spouse)
  • Foreign language assistants
  • A charitable organisation

Empty properties

Empty properties which are usually lived in by the below are also exempt:

  • People who are living elsewhere for the purpose of providing personal care
  • People who are now receiving personal care in a place other than a hospital or care home

If you have one or more of the listed people within your household, please let us know.

To apply for one of the above discounts, please call 01664 502 502.

Last updated 8 February 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.