Voting guidance for young people

You become eligible to vote when you are 18.

To be able to vote, your name must be on the Electoral Register. You need to make sure your name is added to the Annual Canvass form that is delivered to your home.

You can also use our Register to vote page.

Have your say

Voting gives you your say on national and local matters. If you are not registered to vote, you cannot have an influence on local and national politics and the issues that matter to you.

For a Parliamentary Election, you are voting to elect a Member of Parliament (MP) for the Rutland and Melton Parliamentary Constituency. This person represents you and your views in Parliament at the House of Commons in London.

The main work of Parliament is to make laws, debate topical issues and look at how our taxes are spent to run the country. Issues that are discussed in Parliament affect us all on national and local levels. These issues include:

  • Health
  • Environment
  • Transport
  • Jobs
  • Schools and Education
  • Crime

The current MP for the Rutland and Melton Constituency is Alicia Kearns (view Rutland & Melton Conservatives). The constituency covers all of the Borough of Melton, all of Rutland County Council and part of the Harborough District Council areas with a Parliamentary electorate of over 79,000.

For more information about electoral registration, please email or visit Your Vote Matters

More guidance about protecting your voting rights is available on our Guidance for voters page

Last updated 11 June 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.