Overseas Electors

From the 16th January 2024, British citizens which includes eligible Irish citizens and citizens of the Crown Dependencies (The Channel islands and the Isle of Man) can register as overseas electors if they are currently living abroad and one of the following conditions applies:-

  • Previously Registered Condition - Are currently or were previously registered to vote within the UK constituency either as a domestic elector before they left the UK or since they left the UK as an overseas elector
  • Previously Resident Condition - Were previously resident in the UK constituency (including those who left the UK before they were old enough to register to vote)

Overseas voters can vote in UK Parliament elections and some referendums. Each referendum has different rules on who can vote in it.

Overseas electors have to renew their registration after 3 years. A reminder will be sent when it's time to renew.

You can vote by post or proxy (where someone you trust votes on your behalf). You will be asked to make this choice when you register or if you are already registered as an overseas elector and do not currently have an absent vote in place please apply now by using the buttons below.

If you would like to know if you are registered please us our online register check form.

If you need any further information please email our electoral registration department.

Last updated 11 June 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.