Disabled facilities grant

Housing Support Services – Lightbulb  

Housing Support Services in Leicestershire are now delivered by the Lightbulb Team. Lightbulb brings together County and District councils (excluding Leicester City Council) and other local partners to help people stay safe and keep well in their homes for as long as possible by bringing together a range of practical housing support.

What kind of help can I get through the Lightbulb project?

The Lightbulb Team provides a range of housing advice and support to meet different needs such as:

  • Housing MOTs
  • Equipment (such as a shower chair or perching stool)
  • Minor adaptations (such as a half-step or grab rails)
  • Assistive Technology
  • Warm homes and energy advice
  • Home safety checks
  • Major adaptations (such as installing a stairlift or level access shower)
  • Future housing needs and options
  • Home repairs or improvements

If you are a council tenant a think you would benefit from an adaptation to your home, you can find more information on our home adaptations for council tenants webpage


You must be the owner, named tenant (holding a qualifying tenancy) or occupier (in the case of houseboats or mobile homes) of the property to be adapted. This is not necessarily the same as the disabled person who will benefit from the adaptation. A disabled facilities grant will only be approved with the owner’s consent for the adaptation to take place. The process will vary depending on whether you own the property to be adapted or whether you are a tenant in a council property, social or private housing

Payment and contributions

Disabled Facilities Grants for adults are means-tested. It applies to the disabled person who will benefit from the adaptation (and their partner if applicable). If the disabled person or their partner receive qualifying benefits they will automatically be given a full grant to complete the recommended adaptations up to £30,000.

If the disabled person (or their partner) is not receiving one of the qualifying benefits, a means test will determine whether they are entitled to a grant for all or part of the recommended works. We will always check if you/the disabled person have received a grant before, as any previous financial contribution made can be taken into account.

Who do I contact to get help?

Whatever kind of help you need, the first step is to contact Lightbulb.  An advisor will ask questions with you to understand your needs and make sure your case is passed on to the right team, so you get the help you need as quickly as possible. If it’s right for you and with your permission, your details will be passed onto your local district Lightbulb Team who will arrange for a Housing Support Co-ordinator or Occupational Therapist to visit you.

Last updated 9 February 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.