Information and support for Ukraine


Find out more information about the government's Council Tax Rebate of £150.

Apply for a personal alcohol licence

Personal licences need to be obtained for anyone who is required to authorise the sales of alcohol at their premises. They also enable you to apply for 50 Temporary Event Notices each year rather than the normal five.

Application forms are available on the government website via external links at the bottom of the page

Personal licence holders must:

  • be a resident of the Melton Borough Council area
  • be over 18 years old
  • have no 'unspent' relevant or foreign convictions as detailed in Schedule 4 and Section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003

To apply, please complete and return the following:

  • Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders - this is a one-day course with a multiple choice exam. There are various course providers.
  • Basic Disclosure - a basic disclosure report from The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) carried out on the police national computer. You can apply on the Disclosure and Barring service website (link below). It can take two to three weeks for a disclosure search to be returned. (Note: The disclosure search must be no older than one month from its issue date when applying).
  • Two passport photographs - one of the photographs must be endorsed as a true likeliness of the applicant by a solicitor or lawyer; a person of standing in the community; or an individual with a professional qualification.
  • Personal licence - application form - please complete the form in full and ensure all the items on the checklist (Part 5) are present. This form is available on the government website via the links below.
  • Disclosure of convictions and declaration - any relevant convictions or foreign offences, as detailed in Schedule 4 and Section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003, must be declared on this form. Please ensure the form is signed and dated. This form is available on the government website via the links below.
  • Proof of right to work in the UK, in line with the requirements of the Immigration Act 2016
  • The correct fee - the fee for a personal licence application is £37 which can be paid using our online payment system (please reference the name of the applicant when making payment); by telephone conversation with a Customer Service Advisor; or by cheque payable to Melton Borough Council. It is not refundable if the application is withdrawn or is unsuccessful.

Change of detail or request for replacement of a personal licence

If you are a Premises Licence Holder or Designated Premises Supervisor on a premises licence, you will also need to contact for a change of Licence Holder's name and/or address or DPS change of address on premises licence respectively. This also incurs a fee of £10.50.

Expiry of personal licences

Please note that you are no longer required to renew your personal licence after 10 years. Personal licences will now remain valid indefinitely, unless they are either surrendered or revoked.

Last updated 17 January 2022
A to Z of Council Services
Feedback button