We are holding Borough and Parish Elections on 4 May.

Your vote matters, don't lose it. Make sure you are registered to vote and have an accepted form of photo ID to take with you.
Visit our elections pages to find out more or register to vote.

Business and homeworking

Planning permission is usually required for the change of use of a building or land. 

Permission may not be required for home-working if the business use does not cause a significant change in the use of the premises, and the building’s prime use remains as a dwelling house.

For example:

  • the use of a single room in a dwelling house as an office or for child-minding or a play group.
  • the use of a small part of a house as a bed-sit or for bed and breakfast 

Should a business or non-residential use become a significant part of the buildings function, for example if there is growth and intensification of the business which results in an increase in:

  • visitors
  • traffic
  • noise
  • fumes

Over and above what would normally be expected from the building’s use as a private dwelling, then there may be a need for planning permission.

The Council will determine whether planning permission is required in such cases.

For more information please see our permitted development pages.

Last updated 23 August 2022
Feedback button