Permitted development

Permitted development rights allow certain types of development to be undertaken without the need for prior planning permission. These are allowed by 'The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015', also known as the 'GPDO'.

There is an extremely helpful interactive guide within the pages of the Planning Portal website that provides guidance on the permitted development limits for residential property.

What classes as a permitted development?

In order for development to be permitted, certain criteria must be met. The current GPDO is divided into a number of parts which set out categories of permitted development.

You may be able to build without the need for planning permission if:

  • The development is to a certain type of building, including alterations to domestic properties, industrial properties, warehouses and agricultural development;
  • You are a certain type of organisation which regularly carries out development. For example a local authority, a parish council or a statutory undertaker such as water authority, electricity supplier or a telecommunications operator.

Remember, the rules are complex, if you are unsure then you can submit a Permitted Development Enquiry Form the fee for this is £39.63.

Restricting permitted developments 

Sometimes we may need to restrict permitted development rights, particularly in sensitive areas, and the GPDO allows us to do this.  Article 4 of the GPDO restricts certain permitted development rights. 

We may use the following measures to restrict or limit permitted development rights:

  • By conditions on a planning approval, particularly in sensitive areas such as Conservation Areas or where additional alterations would affect amenity.
  • Through Article 4 Directions, which allows the removal of some or all permitted development rights, for example within a conservation area or the curtilage of a listed building. 
  • Through Article 3 restrictions which include the removal of permitted development rights for proposals which would be a Schedule 1 or Schedule 2 development application within the Town and Country Planning (Assessment of Environmental Effects) Regulations 1988 and which require an Environmental Assessment.
Last updated 11 April 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.