Preventing damp, mould and condensation in your home

Damp and mould can appear in your home, and can be a huge cause of concern for many people in the colder months. Mould is often a result of condensation. However, in some instances it may be the result of damp.

What causes dampness and condensation in your home?

There are multiple things that can cause damp and condensation in your property, such as:

  • lack of adequate heating (causing high heat loss).
  • lack of ventilation (causing poor air circulation).
  • water coming in from the outside through leakage.
  • rising damp - dampness from the ground rising up into the building fabric.
  • high levels of moisture or water vapour being produced inside the house.

Where does condensation occur?

Condensation is mainly caused due to poor air circulation and/or high heat loss. It can appear in many areas around the home but the most affected areas are:

  • cold surfaces like mirrors and windows,
  • kitchens and bathrooms,
  • solid, uninsulated walls of unheated rooms,
  • cold corners in unheated rooms,
  • wardrobes and cupboards.

How to prevent damp and mould

The best way to protect your home from damp and mould is to use preventative measure, such as: 

  • on dry days open some windows for ventilation.
  • keep lids on your pots and pans when you cook.
  • keep the doors to the bathroom and kitchen closed when you are bathing or cooking.
  • always wipe excess moisture from windows.
  • limit the number of pot plants in your house.
  • keep furniture away from outside walls to allow air circulation.
  • on cold days try to keep indoor temperatures at least 18°C.
  • wherever possible, dry your clothes outside.
  • if you use a tumble dryer, make sure that it is vented outside.
  • if you must dry your clothes on a clothes rack inside, do this in a well-ventilated room with doors closed to the rest of the house.

Further advice and assistance 

If you are following this guidance but still experiencing problems with damp or condensation in your home you should seek further assistance.

If you are a homeowner you should seek advice from a specialist damp and mould surveyor.

If you are a council tenant please contact us as soon as possible to discuss the situation in your property. Our housing team will review each case and support you with further measures to address and prevent damp and mould in your home. 

If you are in private rented accommodation you should report it to your landlord. 

If you are a tenant of a housing association use the links below:

EMH Homes -; 0300 123 6000 or

Muir: 0300 123 12222;; title any email with "damp and mould" and include the address

PA Housing: 0300 123 2221 

Platform Housing Group: Home | Platform Housing Group (

Riverside:  0345 111 000


If you are unable to achieve a satisfactory resolution with your landlord and need further advice, please contact our Environmental Health Team at, who will be able to review the complaint. Alternatively, you can call our Customer Service team on 01664 502 502 and ask to speak to an Environmental Health Officer.

Last updated 21 July 2023
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.