Information and support for Ukraine


Find out more information about the government's Council Tax Rebate of £150.

Grants and support for energy and living costs

We understand that there is a rise in the cost of living. If you are in need of support there are several organisations and government schemes that could benefit you.

Government schemes

  • Council Tax Rebate scheme: aims to support households with their energy bills. You can find full details of the scheme and what we are doing to distribute the £150 rebate to you on our  Government rebate for energy bills webpage.
  • Energy Bills Support Scheme: Domestic electricity customers in Great Britain will receive a £200 reduction in their electricity costs from this October, through the Energy Bills Support Scheme.
  • Winter Fuel Payment: If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 from the government to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a Winter Fuel Payment.


Department of Work and Pensions offer Budgeting Loans.

A Budgeting Loan can help pay for:

  • furniture or household items (for example, washing machines or other ‘white goods’)
  • clothes or footwear
  • rent in advance
  • costs linked to moving house
  • maintenance, improvements or security for your home
  • travelling costs within the UK
  • costs linked to getting a new job
  • maternity costs
  • funeral costs
  • repaying hire purchase loans
  • repaying loans taken for the above items

Help paying bills

Warm Home Discount Scheme: You could get money off your electricity bill for the winter under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The money is not paid to you - it is a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between October and March. You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity. 

Cold Weather Payment: You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you are getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest. 

Citizens' Advice: You can find lots of information about energy advice and/or grants to help pay off your energy debts on the Citizens' Advice website.

Advice for energy use and rising costs

National Energy Action (NEA) provides independent advice on energy use and costs. Their additional help pages also provides information on other agencies who can provide support.

Debt and benefits advice

If you are struggling to pay back debts or need some advice on what benefits you may be entitled to you can visit our organisations that can help webpage.

Help paying rent and Council Tax

If you believe you could benefit from support with paying your Council Tax you can visit our help to pay your council tax bill and rent page and check the eligibility.  

Last updated 7 June 2022
A to Z of Council Services
Feedback button