Help and advice if you need urgent support with your living costs

We understand that there is a rise in the cost of living. If you are in need of urgent support you can request for help from us by completing the Cost of living support form online below.

If you are wanting a referral to the LCC Household Support Fund, please note that this is currently closed.

You can also access support through My Account, along with multiple other council services.

Food Bank

If you are in urgent need of food and supplies, please use the form above and we can arrange your referral to the local food bank, Storehouse, if appropriate. 

As well as offering food supplies to those most in need in our borough, Storehouse also has clothing, bedding, baby equipment and various household appliances and shelter bags for those who are sleeping rough.

They also offer hygiene facilities where our guests can shower and brush their teeth.

Additional financial support

Discretionary Housing Payments and Council Tax Support are short term awards for people in extreme financial hardship to help you meet your housing or Council Tax costs. You can find out if you qualify on our benefits webpages.

Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund is provided by the Government to local authorities to support families with children and individuals most in need. In Leicestershire this scheme is manged by Leicestershire County Council, offering support to families or individuals with the cost of fuel or food. 

To apply for support, a referral must be made on your behalf, from a professional support worker or agency. 

More information on the Household Support Fund is available on the Leicestershire County Council website. Alternatively, you can contact our Community Support Hub who can offer you further advice. 

Homelessness or at risk

If you are worried about losing your home or are homeless then you should contact the Housing Options Team who can provide you with advice and guidance on what steps you should take. You can find out more information on our homeless or at risk webpages.

Mental Health support

Living with a mental health problem can sometimes feel like too much to cope with and make day-to-day activities difficult. There are lots of situations that can impact on how you feel, but we would like you to know that support is available, and you are not alone.

If you feel your mental health is suffering and you are struggling to deal with everyday situations it may be worth talking to your GP, family or friends.

Urgent Support

If you or someone you know requires urgent mental health support please call the local NHS Mental Health Central Access Point on 0808 800 3302. It’s a free and confidential 24/7 helpline for people of all ages in Leicester, Leicestershire.

Further Advice and Support

The Leicester Partnership Trust has brought together a range of local resources that are available, including information about services specific to Melton.

Nottingham Community Housing Association (NCHA) provides a mental health wellbeing and recovery support service for adults aged 18 and over. They can offer advice, navigation and community recovery services, working in partnership with other providers and mainstream resources. You can call them for free on 0800 434 6126. 

VitaMinds works in partnership with the NHS to provide talking therapy services and counselling in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. If you are experiencing excessive worry, low mood, depression, anxiety or a lack of motivation then you can contact VitaMinds for support. 

Samaritans are available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide. Find your nearest Samaritans branch.

Start a Conversation: suicide is preventable provides information about where to find support in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland for people experiencing feelings of suicide ideation, and those worried about them.

Last updated 27 February 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.