Information and support for Ukraine


Find out more information about the government's Council Tax Rebate of £150.

What to do if you become homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible.

We will be able to provide advice, help and assistance if you are homeless or going to be homeless. We may be able to prevent your homelessness by talking to your landlord if you are in rent arrears or your mortgage lender if you cannot afford to keep up with your monthly payments.

If you are not able to stay in your home we may be able to help you find alternative housing either in private rented housing or social housing. If you have been served notice to leave your property by your landlord please contact us as soon as possible. You mustn't give up your accommodation if you have nowhere else to go.

If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement your landlord must give you a valid notice to leave and your landlord cannot legally evict you without a bailiffs warrant from the court. You can find more information about notices of eviction through the Government website in the links below.

Should you have any other type of tenancy agreement or a licence agreement and your landlord has given you notice then please talk to the Housing Options Team as soon as possible.

If we are unable to assist you we will refer you to the relevant supporting agencies.

Please use the contact form at the bottom of this page to get in touch with us or call 01664 502502 

What to do if you are concerned about someone you think may be sleeping rough:

If you are worried or concerned about  a person you think may sleeping rough or is rough sleeping during the cold weather, please call Melton Borough Council on 01664 502502 and ask to speak to the Housing Options team or you can visit the Streetlink website.

You can also e-mail:


Last updated 7 December 2021
A to Z of Council Services
Feedback button