Local online traders reminded to register their food businesses with Council

MBC News Logo Size

Melton Borough Council are reminding local businesses and residents that anyone who produces or even just repackages food and drink at home for sale or supply to other people need to register with Environmental Health where they live.

According to the Food Standards Agency, the number of food businesses starting up and operating from home since March 2020 has increased nationally by 44%.   

Food businesses, including small or independent traders, need to register with Environmental Health to ensure they are meeting the legal requirements, such as producing food in hygienic conditions and having adequate allergen labelling.

Cllr Alison Freer-Jones, Portfolio Holder for Climate, Access and Engagement said, “It is exciting to see our residents diversifying and taking steps to create new business opportunities, especially in this climate. However, it is vitally important that local food businesses are registered with Environmental Health. It is in fact a legal requirement and those operating without registering with Environmental Health risk prosecution.

Our role is to support these businesses and we want to work with them to ensure that they are operating safely and following the correct guidelines. The best way for us to achieve this is for traders to register with us before opening. This will allow them to open with confidence and peace of mind that they are supporting our local community and taking the steps to protect the health of their customers.”

Registration is free and should be completed by anyone handling or preparing food and drink, this includes voluntary supplies and those handling and repackaging sweets into gift boxes. Occasional, infrequent supply, such as producing cakes for a school fete or an event that happens a couple of times a year are not included.

Local traders looking to set up, or those who are not sure whether they should register are encouraged to speak with Melton Borough Council’s Environmental Health team by calling 01664 502502.

To find out more information or to register a food business operating within the Borough of Melton visit Melton Borough Council food webpages: www.melton.gov.uk/food or the Food Standards Agency www.food.gov.uk/.

Local consumers are encouraged to check the national Food Hygiene Rating Scheme, before purchasing products, to see whether the trader is listed there: https://ratings.food.gov.uk/.




For more information please contact:



16 March 2021