Emergency repairs for council housing tenants

An emergency repair is something that needs to be fixed quickly because it is a danger to health or safety. For example:

  • no heating or hot water (during extreme weather)
  • no electricity (if you have a total loss of power at the electric you will need to contact your energy supplier)
  • no cold, clean drinking water
  • dirty water coming up through plug holes or toilets
  • a damaged door or window has left your home insecure
  • a severe leak or burst pipe
  • a leak that is affecting the electrics
  • an unsafe electrical fitting that is sparking or smoking, or bare wiring
  • Blocked drains where there is a concern for health and welfare.

If your home needs an emergency repair you should contact us as soon as possible by calling on 01664 502502 and following the instructions on the message. 

The repair will be responded to within 24 hours. No appointment will be made, but an adult will be expected to stay at the property until the emergency has been made safe.

You should only use this system for emergencies. If we find that the problem is not a genuine emergency, we will charge you for the service.

Gas leaks

If you smell gas inside a property, there are several steps that you should take.


  • open doors and windows to ventilate the property.
  • turn off the gas at the mains tap. This can usually be located near the gas meter and has a handle that can be turned 90 degrees.
  • call the National Gas Emergency Service number on 0800 111 999. They can give you some advice on what to do next.

Do not:

  • turn any power or light switches on or off, including electrically operated door entry systems.
  • light any sort of flame within the property.
  • use any appliances that could cause a spark.
Last updated 5 March 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.