Home contents insurance

Why do you need home contents insurance?

Home contents insurance is their to help protect your belongings in the event of something happening. We all know that no matter how careful we are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen. Having home contents insurance can help give you peace of mind. For example, if there is a flood caused by a tank that we are responsible for repairing, you would still need to pay for any damaged carpets and belongings. If you have home contents insurance, they can cover these costs for you. 

We do insure the building that you live in but we do not insure your personal belongings. Therefore, you are responsible for arranging your own home contents insurance.

Insurance for tenants

Is your stuff worth protecting from just £1.33 a month?We’ve teamed up with Aviva to help you decide which cover is right for you. They run a specialist home contents insurance policy designed for tenants living in social housing they can offer you insurance for the contents of your home. This includes cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures, and ornaments.

You do not need to get cover with Aviva, you can get home insurance cover with any company you wish, however if you are interested in this specialist policy you can find out more by calling them on 01962 892086 and let them know you’re a Melton Borough Council tenant.

Remember - Having home contents insurance can’t prevent floods, thefts or fires from happening, but it can help you get back on your feet.

Last updated 9 April 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.

Aviva logo

Melton Borough Council logo