Tenancy agreement

Tenancy Agreement

Before you are given the keys to your home, you will be asked to read and sign a tenancy agreement. This agreement contains lots of useful and important information, including what you can expect from us as a landlord and what we expect from you in return.

It also forms a legal contract between you and Melton Borough Council. That’s why it is important that you read the tenancy agreement carefully before signing it. If you are unable to meet the terms of the agreement, you may be asked to give up your tenancy or face eviction.

We want our tenants to enjoy their home with peace of mind, and that is why we are here if you have any questions about your tenancy agreement or need support managing your tenancy.

We offer two types of tenancies, and they are:

Introductory tenancy

Most of our new tenants will be offered an Introductory tenancy. This is a 12-month trial period, but it comes with most of the same rights and responsibilities as a secure tenancy.

Some of the rights you do not have as an Introductory tenancy are:

  • You cannot buy your home
  • You cannot exchange or assign your home
  • You cannot take in lodgers
  • You cannot carry out improvements to your home

If you manage your tenancy correctly, following your tenancy agreement, then you will automatically become a secure tenant after 12 months. This includes ensuring you:

  • pay your rent
  • do not cause your neighbours and problems
  • report your repairs

If you struggle to meet the terms of your introductory tenancy agreement then we may extend if for a further 6 months to show us that you can resolve any issues and manage your tenancy going forward.

If you breach your tenancy, then in rare cases we may ask you to give up the tenancy or face eviction. Eviction remains our last resort as we aim to provide you with a safe, secure, and good quality home that helps you get on in life.

Secure tenancy

If you are an introductory tenant and have kept to the terms of your tenancy, you will automatically become a secure tenant after 12 months.

Customers with a secure tenancy are granted extra rights, which include:

  • the right to buy their home
  • the right to make reasonable improvements
  • the right to exchange their home
  • the right to succeed – this means that you can pass your tenancy onto someone else in certain circumstances
  • the right to take in lodgers, subject to our written consent
  • the right to repair
  • the right to consultation

This information and more will be covered in your secure tenancy agreement.

We are here to help if you have any questions about your tenancy agreement or if you need support managing your tenancy.

Updating your records with us

It is important that you tell us straight away about any changes to your household. If we are not made aware of any changes, you could find yourself in breach of your tenancy. Also, if these changes are properly recorded is could potentially increase your housing priority if you’re looking to move to a more suitable home.

Adding a partner to your secure tenancy

To add your partner to your tenancy, you just need to send us proof of their identity, this could be in the form of their driving license or passport and their national insurance number. You will also need to provide evidence that this have been living with you for the last 12 months, such as a utility bill or a bank statement. If you are married, please send us a copy of your marriage certificate.

We can only add partners to tenancies where the rent has been paid in full and the account is up to date.

Changing your name

To change your name on our records, simply send us a copy of your marriage certificate or deed poll paperwork and we can amend this on our records.

Adding a child to your records.

If you have had a child, please send us a copy of your child’s birth certificate and we will add them to your records as a new member of your household.

Transferring a tenancy

In certain circumstances, it may be possible for you to pass your tenancy onto someone else, or for someone else to pass their tenancy onto you. However, there are only set occasions where this can happen. They are:

Last updated 9 April 2024
Do you need to get in touch with us? Use our contact form.